7 tips to make your home more sustainable
"A more sustainable home meets the principles of so-called eco-design, but without the necessary resources, it becomes difficult to achieve. However, we can still make a difference...find out how!"
BY DECLUTTERING, FOR EXAMPLE!
That is, getting rid of the superfluous and making space in your environment, identifying the objects that no longer convey emotions or that you want to replace.
You may be wondering what sustainability has to do with it, read on...
Particularly when the house is surrounded by chaos and clutter, the need to restore order becomes urgent. Figuring out how to do this can be difficult, you may feel overwhelmed and challenged, but just remember that the benefits of a tidy environment are worth the effort! You are doing this to improve your well-being, to feel better:
1. Reduce stress
2. A tidy environment, free of unnecessary items, is easier to clean!
3. You will organize your space better, being well aware of everything you own.
4. You will no longer have to focus on the clutter, on having to tidy every shelf or cupboard, because there will be fewer things.
Photo: Vito Corvasce
But let's move on to the practical part!
7 USEFUL TIPS FOR DECLUTTERING
1. To make decluttering less of a chore, you can decide to set aside 15 to 30 minutes each day to tidy up a room. It doesn't have to be a massive one-day operation, but you can distribute it according to your personal needs.
2. To be more systematic, you can opt for a checklist before you even start. Write down on a sheet of paper all the objects and furnishings that are present in each of your rooms (it is preferable to divide it up by rooms, in order to simplify decluttering).
3. Decide whether you want to tidy up room by room or by object category.
4. Make sure you are focused while tidying up, so you will be able to find items you do not need more quickly.
5. Making a list of things you want to keep, things you want to leave behind or things you are unsure of is another help to make tidying up easier and to keep your mind in order.
6. While reordering, fill in the list and then read it. Have you seen how many items you can sell? You can finally make space in your home and earn money at the same time.
7. Try to look at your home with fresh eyes. Often people look at things without paying much attention because they have been there for a long time. Renew the way you look at spaces, this will allow you to see which items you can finally put up for sale!
Did you follow our advice and find yourself with items to sell? Click the banner below and find out how to do it!
Photo: Vito Corvasce
These are just a few tips that may come in handy when you decide to tackle the clutter in your flat! This is the first step towards being aware of what you own and discovering all the furniture you can put up for sale.
PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO PREFER A DIFFERENT WAY OF CONSUMING & YOU?
The issue of sustainability concerns us all. Interior design and the world of furnishings of the concept of sustainable and circular design. A central change that occurs with the circular economy is the shift in focus from possession, to accessing a service, such as an object.
What does it mean?
Consumers do not need the same object/service for long periods of time and the concept of ownership starts to disappear. This makes possible the emergence of exchange and sale dynamics, which allow more immediate access, while reducing consumption.
If we reflect on all the objects we own and how many of them we no longer use or appreciate compared to the past, we begin to understand the advantage of owning one for a short period of time. In fact, furnishings respond to the same principle, you can use them for the time necessary to meet your needs and then you can decide to put them up for sale!
WHAT IS SUSTAINABLE DESIGN?
Sustainable Design, also known as conscious design or eco-design, follows a set of design principles and models aimed at minimising negative impact on the environment, favouring innovative manufacturing techniques and the use of natural materials.
WHY IS IT NECESSARY?
The environmental impact of architecture and interior design is very high, each year consuming 3 billion tonnes of raw materials, representing 40% of total resource consumption (Eales, Aran, 2012, "Sustainability and Engineering", An Open Educational Resource for U-Now, University of Nottingham).
Materials are the main element when it comes to this sector, which is why it is essential to think about which ones to use! In fact, the environmental consequences change depending on the type of material chosen, like:
- Natural Materials
- Converted Materials
- Artificial Materials
Each of them has its own characteristics, a sustainable perspective prefers the former, while the latter are the most harmful to the environment, such as plastic, pigments and glass.
Sustainable Design becomes a useful tool for rethinking the sector and making it more suitable for the environmental, social and economic changes currently underway. The concept of Circular Design is also part of this context. It is essential to apply development processes in the best possible way, combining sustainable design with a circular perspective.
Credit: Ellen MacArthur Foundation
HOW DO THESE TWO VISIONS COMPLEMENT EACH OTHER?
Design starts with an idea. It creates functional objects (and not only that, remember that there are different ramifications of design) that meet the needs of consumers. A circular vision makes it possible to focus attention not only on the user, but also on the system in which the design project fits.
For this to happen it is important to consider the three principles identified by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation:
- Design out waste and pollution
- Regenerate natural systems
- Keep products and materials in use
Design and production processes must adapt to these parameters in order to be sustainable and circular. From a practical point of view, it is essential to understand both the needs of people and the system in which they operate.
In addition, it is necessary to define and clarify the objectives to be achieved through design. Conceiving, designing, and prototyping is the first step in assessing what is the best strategy. Finally, when releasing the design, it is important to communicate well and build consumer loyalty.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first one to leave a message!